Note: This article was originally written for the D’Addario Orchestral ‘Behind The Bridge’ blog …..
When my performance schedule and new board member responsibilities started to ramp up, I found myself waking up in the middle of the night with my mind racing and that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I’d forgotten to do something important. It was only a matter of time before my restless nights began to make me feel rather unhealthy. A close friend and fellow musician started sending me meditation music links that I was supposed to play as I went to bed in order to help me relax into a peaceful sleep. I decided to do a YouTube search for similar songs and came across a whole genre of mind healing music that’s based on the natural frequencies of the universe.
Of course, the scientist in me had to go on a fact-finding mission to investigate the claims that I was seeing. There were quite a few references to the Solfeggio frequency of 528Hz, which is supposed to be a miracle tone and the frequency of love. I remember one day when I was particularly stressed out more than usual, I had an unexpected reaction to this music. I started smiling against my will, then had uncontrollable bursts of laughter, and then all of a sudden became very calm. That’s what convinced me that there was really some magic behind this healing music. When I looked at my music frequency chart that I use for my music production, I noticed that the 528Hz is right where the cello’s core fundamental tones transition to the harmonic overtones. That’s probably the reason why it’s so mentally therapeutic for me to play.
I found this website which discusses the Solfeggio frequencies in great detail: http://powerthoughtsmeditationclub.com/what-is-the-solfeggio-frequencies/. Apparently, this scale has 9 distinct healing frequencies that have specific effects on the body.
- 174Hz is a natural anesthetic and is supposed to mask pain.
- 285Hz is supposed to help with the healing of wounds since it’s affect is to aid in returning cells to their original form.
- 396Hz cleanses the feeling of guilt and sobers the mind so that it can return to reality.
- 417Hz can be used to heal the mind from traumatic experiences and to open creative potential.
- 528Hz can be used to return human DNA to a perfect state and clears a mental path for deep spiritual enlightenment.
- 639Hz enhances communication, tolerance, understanding and love.
- 741Hz is supposed to trigger the cleansing of toxins from our cells and to assist in healing infections.
- 852Hz helps to clear mental blocks and stagnation.
- 963Hz is supposed to awaken all bodily systems to their original and perfect state.
All of these frequencies can be attributed to a variety of instruments as indicated in the chart below. I’m not a medical profession and have no diagnostic way of confirming the real effects of the Solfeggio frequencies, but I think that any music lover can tell you about the song that makes them cry or smile or laugh. To paraphrase Plato – music really does give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to absolutely everything.